Thursday, July 22, 2010

Overwhelmed by zucchini, scared of chard?


My experience has been that a lot of folks are put off by chard and overwhelmed at the quantity (perhaps underwhelmed by the taste) of zucchini.
I will admit it. Chard is one of my all time favourite vegetables for so many reasons. Taste, nutrition and ease of growing, as well as the fact it is something I can grow the whole year round.
If you aren't sure, it really is worth trying again.
A simple way to prepare it is to saute it with a bit of olive oil and garlic till wilted. You can also use it in place of spinach in any recipe...great in quiches and frittatas, spaghetti sauces or simply steamed.
If you go back in my blog to a posting on June 30, 2009, you will see a great recipe-an all time favourite- for chard cheese pie. Simple, but very good!
Like many folks, I am having a pretty successful zucchini season to date. Heat and a bit of rain, what's for a zucchini not to love? And now that it is time to get the garlic up,this recipe just fits the bill.

Zucchini(or summer squash) puree

1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 plump moist garlic clove
1 lb zucchini, cut into coarse chunks
Fine sea salt

In a large skillet heat the olive oil over moderate heat until hot. Add garlic and zucchini and brown the zucchini 2-3 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and cook until very soft about 15 minutes more.
Transfer the zucchini and garlic to a food processor or a blender and puree. Taste for seasoning. Serve warm or at room temperature.

( from the book Vegetable Harvest by Patricia Wells)



3 comments:

Salix said...

Hi Linda
Your praise of chard on your blog - and also a couple of other sources mentioning it - made me buy seeds and sow some this year. I had never tasted it before! Yesterday I had my first plate - sauteed with olive oil, garlic and a pinch of hot pepper - a little cream added at the end ............DELICIOUS.
Thanks
Lene

Linda said...

I really love it too-I'm glad you have tried it!
You'll have to give the chard cheese pie a try, so easy and good!

yuteralove said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.