Monday, February 27, 2012

Garden workshop March 24th...are you in?




Planting time is coming.
Over the past few weeks, I've pulled out some fading crops from the hoop houses, and seeded some spring crops.
It has been a confusing time for plants and growers alike.
With a mild and reasonably snowless winter, plants have sent up seed stalks early and I've been sunbathing in my bikini.
Okay-I'm not that confused.
But in January and February newly seeded areas sprouted quickly and grew quickly as well. It's nice to have new crops ready to harvest in...February? Wow.
The planting time that is coming is the one that happens at the same time every year.
Cool weather crops like onions, leeks, brassicas, lettuces and other greens can be seeded indoors now and over the next few weeks, in preparation for cool spring soil outside.
Then, by mid-March to early April, it is time to plant some summer jewels.
I tend to do my big crops beginning around this time frame, with eggplants and hot peppers hitting the soil-less mix first, then sweet peppers, then tomatoes. Weeks and weeks of tomato seeding.



Over the years I've had lots and lots of people ask me questions about  seed starting, vegetable gardening, seed saving techniques and questions about preferred varieties.
I don't ever claim to know it all, and think people who believe they know it all are cheating themselves.
Like every other thing in life, there is so much to learn about gardening. Why stop learning?

But if you would like a little guidance or are new to gardening altogether, I am holding a gardening workshop here at the farm on March 24 and am calling it "Sowing seeds for 2012"


From my website:


Saturday, March 24 – Gardening workshop: "Sowing seeds for 2012." We'll plant seeds, plan gardens and I'll dispense what I hope will be useful gardening advice. It's time to get started now! Cost $40, which includes your choice of 10 packs of seeds, soil, pots and coffee. 2-4 p.m. Please pre-register. Call 905-386-7388 or email treeandtwig@sympatico.ca.

This session will be very much hands on.
I suggest, as opposed to wearing your bikini, you wear your gardening clothes and rubber boots.
We'll each have a planting station in one of my hoop houses and will be talking and seeding our plants together after a little informal talk that considers some of the basics.
It is not unreasonable to think that you will be able to get all your garden transplants seeded this day. That is, of course, as long as your garden isn't as large as mine..
You'll have access to some of my very special seed that I don't sell, or that is sold out at this time.
Bring your gardening questions, seed that you would like to sow if you have some already
and most importantly bring a box or tray to take home your newly seeded goodies.

It'll be fun and good for the soul.

Gardening is!




2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a fantastic deal and offer! Silly me, I didn't see this in time, and have already registered for a course in Kitchener (where my parents live) in a few weeks. This would be AWESOME. Do you host there yearly? Excellent excellent! Wish I would have found this sooner.

Linda said...

Yes, and I'll be offering more workshops this year as well. Love to have you come out!