Thursday, June 14, 2012

Maris the Amazing Farm Intern is Still Digging!



Hello again. I’ve got similar stories this week about my farming experiences (sorry, nothing epic or mind-blowing), but I’m still having a great time and enjoying the field of work (pun intended). Surprise, surprise we’ve been planting all week. There have been a few odds and ends, but it’s been almost entirely tomato plants. We’re running out of places to plant so we’ve been sticking the plants in a variety of soils from spongy and too wet to rock solid like we’re hollowing out big clay pots in the ground. I think we’re getting close to the end of planting (emphasis on think) and as if on cue the weeds are invading every square inch of unoccupied dirt. So we’ve been weeding as well, during which Linda has shown me a bunch of edible weeds and leaves that grow in most gardens including purslane, lambsquarters (or wild spinach), and nasturtiums.
Besides the weeds doing well, most of the other plants that are planted intentionally at Tree and Twig are doing great. The tomatoes, cabbage, and peppers are doing particularly well with fruits already appearing on lots of plants. Linda showed me a little pepper that had an amazing shade of purple and she said “this is a hot pepper but it’s still mild because it’s so small. Wanna try it?” I love trying things in the garden so I grabbed it and popped it into my mouth meanwhile I’m sure Linda was trying to hold back a grin because this tiny little guy was creating an inferno in my mouth within seconds. Linda continued on pointing out some more things in the garden but the only thing I could focus on was the numbing of the right side of my mouth and the tears swelling up in my eyes. I like ‘em hot but this guy (a filus blue pepper) really took me off guard and apparently it actually does get hotter as it matures, and it was only a fraction of the heat in comparison to peppers like the bhut jolokia or the Trinidadian scorpion (the hottest pepper at Tree and Twig as well as, oh yeah, the world).
  So no luck with any of those first duck eggs, but we’ve got another one on the go in the incubator. I brought three quail eggs from New Leaf and added them to the incubator so we’re hoping those guys are fertilized and will hatch someday too. We also caught one of the Indian runners and he’s been back at New Leaf for the past week with plenty of other ducks, chickens, and goats. We got another miniature goat there last week as well to keep Billy the kid (the first mini goat) company, although I really don’t think she was too lonely with all the other goofballs running around and sleeping all over her.
Ummm.... that’s it. Thanks

No comments: