Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Summer CSA-Week 9 and Open House September 2nd


Here we are again. Another week and another problem. I'm pretty sure someone is testing me to see what I am made of. That is other than vegetables.

Can you believe it? Joey, my dear pot bellied pig has PNEUMONIA!!

I went away for the weekend, a rare thing in and of itself and came back to a pig who didn't come out of his house when I called. I waited, called again and no Joey. That's just weird. So I got a few apples and popped them down and no Joey still. My heart sank. Until I heard a low grunt and I knew at least he was still with me. But Joey not eating means Joey doesn't feel good at all.

Yesterday the vet came out and Maris encouraged Joey to cooperate so the vet could take his temperature (105 degrees). Two strong shots of antibiotics and today he appears to be on the mend.
Maris was impressed with Joey the sick pig's strength. Even sick, Joey gets what Joey wants. 


Hopefully most of the veggies in your baskets today were recognizable. 
I will point out that the basil today was spice basil and it is really distinctive-you may not even recognize it as being basil. Oregano accompanied it.


If any of the peppers in your basket looked like any of the above-they are very hot. Wrinkled peppers equals scorchers. (Aren't they pretty though?)


The heirloom beans keeps coming too. When I say there are beans in the baskets, it can be different ones every week. How many varieties am I growing? Honestly not sure. Quite a few and some you won't see much of because I need to save the seed. I have a number of varieties that I got from the Heritage Seed Library in England and the beans are ultra-cool. But I've got to save all the bean seeds I can because I was only gifted with 5 seeds to begin with.

I'm having a small event on September 2nd (from 1-3 pm) as well that I'll mention here. 
I usually do my "Tomato Bash" on this date, but this year I have decided to downgrade it. Sorry folks-I just don't have it in me. I'm totally evented out!
I do welcome you to the farm though to join me in a tour of the garden, a chance to try a few of the tomatoes, peppers and some other interesting things I am growing. No chefs, no wine, no charge.
There is some cool stuff this year.
I'll provide non-alcoholic beverages, so please let me know if you are coming so I can plan accordingly.
I'll have some veg for sale, as well as the growing line of "Tree and Twig Preserved".  Nine different basil jelly varieties, beets, beans, tomatoes all done up with interesting spins.

This weekend, Saturday August 25th don't forget Rawstock in Niagara on the Lake. It's the first annual and there are some great folks there! (I'll be there.... not implying I'm great!)
I'll  also will be at Feast of Fields on September 9th at Cold Creek Conservation Area , Township of King and am super honoured to be invited. This is like the grand-daddy of chef and farmer events.

I've been talking to a few people lately, so will add a few things here for you to peruse.


And the delightful (and funny as....) Karen from The Art of Doing Stuff Tree and Twig Field Trip-Profile of a CSA Farmer


And from The Huffington Post-a recipe


Charred Tomato Salsa!

Ingredients

  • 6 medium vine-ripened tomatoes
  • 1/2 red onion, cut into thick slices
  • 1 jalapeno chile
  • 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

Directions

  • Preheat the oven to 450F.
  • Place the tomatoes, onion, jalapeno, and garlic on a baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil.
  • Season with salt and pepper and roast in the oven for 10 minutes or until the vegetables have started to blister.
  • Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
  • Peel, seed, and chop the tomatoes roughly. Seed the jalapeno and chop finely. Peel and mince the garlic, and finely dice the onion.
  • Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
  • Peel, seed, and chop the tomatoes roughly. Seed the jalapeno and chop finely. Peel and mince the garlic, and finely dice the onion.
  • Mix the vegetables in a large bowl and add the cilantro, lime juice, and cumin.
  • Season the salsa to taste with salt and pepper and serve


Darn they are cute! Saved from a sure demise.




1 comment:

Corina Psarrou-Rae said...

Hi Linda, sorry to hear about your pig getting sick.
I was just recently watching some videos on YouTube about Silver Colloidal, which has brought healing even to diseases thought of as incurable. It replaces antibiotics and all kinds of pharmaceuticals, and it can be found at any health food store.
Hopefully Joey feels better already, but maybe it can be of help on other occasions. :)