Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Summer CSA Week 13 and Hot Pepper Marmalade

Can you feel it? The summer is coming to an end.
Ooh. Chilly tonight when I closed up the chicken door. I popped their storm window on to keep them warm although I'm sure their feathers do a pretty fine job of that. Love my chickens.
Supposed to dip down to 5 C tonight. I always figure when it gets that low there could be a frost, but I think (and hope and pray) that the heavy cloud cover will take care of that.
I need tomatoes this weekend. I'm involved in a filming with Jon Steinman of Deconstructing Dinner and I'm excited. My segment is on TOMATOES and I'm going to be happy to be working with my friend and chef extraordinaire Mark Picone.
It always amazes me the cool things that come my way, a muck farmer from Hickville. I'm grateful for these opportunities and great experiences. Truly grateful.

Grateful too that I've had a great bunch of folks on board for the summer CSA this year. My sincere thanks for your support. You have no idea how much it means and I hope you have enjoyed the offerings. Some things have done very well, some not in this mostly dry season. We've worked hard.

Two weeks to go, and then the fall commences October 9 for another 15 weeks.

If you have signed up and paid for the fall season, then expect a confirmation email from me in the next week. If you don't get it, please contact me.
I have had someone back out, so can take on one more. Let me know if you are interested (by email).
There will be greens, beets, carrots, herbs, squash and more filling your fall baskets. Did I say greens? Lots of 'em.
Tomorrow I'll plant the winter hoophouses. Mustards, chards, arugula, radishes, kales, chinese greens....so much good stuff.


Todays baskets had lots in them. Lots of summer tastes still.


Lots of tomatoes and sweet and hot peppers, tomatillos, beets, lettuce, radishes, leaf celery, parsley, basil. Likely more too...they were full and heavy.
Do you wonder what to do with those peppers? Here's an idea.
Hot peppers jelly for me was one of those late discoveries. People kept giving it to me as a Christmas gift and I sat all the pretty jars on the pantry shelf to collect dust. Figured I wouldn't like it. But when I finally did try it I realized how wrong I was. I love it!
This is something good too!

Hot Pepper Marmalade (from Simply in Season-Mary Beth Lind and Cathleen Hockman-Wert)

3-5 hot peppers
4  sweet peppers, your choice of colours
1 cup white vinegar
2 cups sugar
Mince all peppers and combine all ingredients in a saucepan.

Add gradually:
1 pkg no sugar needed pectin

Stir until pectin is dissolved. Boil 1 minute, and skim off foam. Ladle into 1/2 pint sterile jars, filling to within 1/2 " of rim.  Process in a hot water bath.

Enjoy the heat all winter long with your favourite meals....or give as a gift!

Shredded Beet Salad (from Simply in Season)

2 cups beets, cooked, peeled and shredded
1/2 cup fresh parsley
3 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp onion, chopped
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
pepper to taste


Mix together and chill.
Bet my amazing friend Emily would add chick peas to this, and I bet it would be good!

No comments: