Tuesday, October 2, 2012

30 Days On My Small Farm -Day 6 and the end of the Summer CSA!

Today was the unofficial end of summer.
My summer CSA is over and the Fall/Winter begins next week.
Thank you to everyone who took part. I hope it was a good experience for you.


Today was extra busy.
I finished harvesting for 25 baskets that needed to go out today as well as for orders from Niagara Gourmet, Niagara College, Rise Above and Bamboo Natural Foods.
Time to relax a bit although my dear Mollie needs help with her math homework-in french!
Oh my tired head.
Baskets today were not baskets at all. They were bags!
If you have any baskets of mine and are not in the fall CSA, please try to get them back to your pick up location if at all possible. I'd certainly appreciate it.
I'm a bit slow reaching out to my fall people, but you'll hear from me this week. For all who have been involved all along, it is business as usual.
Same time, same place...but different veggies as the season progresses.

I was happy to see when I went out to the hoophouses today that absolutely everything in both large ones  has germinated. Plus some. There are a few things I can't really identify....these shall be closely observed for a while until I can.


The greens outside are happy and I think they will be for quite a while. Some new crops are coming on too-turnips, radishes, more beets, mustards...on it goes.

I'm sure veggies in todays basket are recognizable. The carrots are yummy-very tender and sweet, but most will stay in the ground till frost so they get even sweeter.

Here's a salad that will make good use of your beets and carrots...it was in the Welland Tribune last week...



Beet and Carrot Salad
  • 1/4 c. (50 ml) sweet onion, diced
  • 4 to 6 medium beets, peeled and shredded
  • 3 medium carrots scrubbed and shredded
  • 2 tbsp. (25 ml) chopped dill
Dressing:
  • 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
  • 3 tbsp. (45 ml) red wine vinegar
  • 3 tbsp. (45 ml) canola or sunflower oil
  • 1 tsp. (5 ml)toasted and ground caraway seeds
  • salt and pepper to taste
1. In a medium bowl, combine the onion, beets, carrots and dill. Set aside.
2. To make the dressing, combine the Dijon mustard and vinegar in a small bowl. Whisk until combined. Slowly add the oil until smooth and emulsified.
3. Add the caraway seed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Add the dressing to the beet/carrot mixture. Toss well.
5. Season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
6. Serves six.

Enjoy!

(Note from Mollie:

Hi! I know my mom told you that she was helping with homework and I just wanted to point out that I HATE MATH HOMEWORK!!!!!!!!! )

No comments: