Thursday, December 13, 2012

Coming in 2013- 500 Heirloom Tomato Seedling Varieties... and counting!

Tomatoes.
That's where my fuzzy and embattled brain is at these days.


 I am busy planning for next year, and the planning for my heirloom tomato seedling sales is peaking right now.
I hope you'll consider it worthwhile to make the trip out to Wellandport in the spring. I think it is going to be a bit more special than ever.
I've sold seedlings for many years now, and grown them for many, many more.


I know tomatoes.  I have grown more than a thousand varieties over the course of my 15 year career as a small farmer.  Grown them and eaten them too. (That scares me a bit.)

In 2013 things will change a bit here in the spring. Tree and Twig will function more as a small garden centre.


I plan on opening in early April for transplant sales of cold hardy veg varieties like lettuces, brassicas etc. and will have a small shop space with lots of beautiful heirloom vegetable seeds and a number of other garden related items. But if you need seed before that and can't get out to a Seedy Saturday to find me, no problem at all. I'll open earlier.



There will be more than 500 varieties of tomatoes, one of the largest collections of which I am aware. Could be hundreds more than that though. I'll know for sure when I get through the arduous task of organizing my seed. Egad.


I am working on the actual listing now, which I will post when complete.
As I am a small grower doing it big, there are limited quantities of each variety, but also so many good ones.  I never run out, I grow lots.
Pre-orders will be available as always.



I will also continue the focus on peppers, eggplants and all manner of wonderful heirloom vegetables....from the common to the less common. Ground cherries, cape gooseberries, cukes, squash... cool stuff, cool varieties.

This is heirloom tomato utopia, hot pepper heaven, eggplant euphoria and ground cherry ground zero.  Good, eh?


These are all things I grow myself so I can talk to you about the growing process, the varieites and the problems.

Tomato Days on the long weekend in May will still be the time when I haul out the biggest selection. I have to do it this way because of my limited greenhouse space at the front of my property and the precariousness of our spring weather. Plus it's fun...don't you think? The heirloom tomato treasure hunt.


Check my website soon too for my popular seed starting workshops in the spring.
It's gonna be a good year!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've already started drooling :)