Tuesday, June 18, 2013

CSA Week Two and Pasta with Garlic and Herbs

It's easy to tell what time of year it is because my blog posts are few and far between.
There has been so much rain over the past few weeks that I can't just go out to the garden and get everything done though.

Sparrows hiding out from the rain

Some things are at a standstill.
I can't plant certain areas yet because they are just too waterlogged. Working wet clay is a big, big mistake. So some areas are just sitting. Waiting. Drying.
I've been pretty happy that the rain of the last 3 days didn't materialize.
Yesterday I managed to get out and hoe a few weeds out. But only in certain areas.

On the weekend, we got one of the big hoop houses cleared out so I could plant it. Better late than never I figured, so in I went yesterday. I planted a whole bunch more eggplants, some spare peppers I found, and then today got some summer squash, cucumbers, and a few tomatoes in.
A massive zucchini plant had already established itself and in the shade of it, I found a nice big garter snake resting. Clearly watching the zucchini growing.

Tomorrow I'll finish up the planting. More tomatoes will be going in, some of the unsold stragglers in the driveway.

The small hoop house at the front is going gangbusters. The 30 Stupice tomato plants are loaded with tomatoes. Everyday I hope I'll find a red one, but not yet. The eggplants are huge and peppers are forming on the sweet peppers. My Dragon Tongue beans have their beautiful lilac coloured blossoms and I suspect there will be zucchini in next weeks CSA baskets.

Next year I may just work smarter, not harder. I may just grow in the hoop houses as I begin my descent into retirement. Honestly, the variables are getting the best of me, none more so than the weather.

It's pretty discouraging to work so hard and see some of the crops you have planted fail.
As I always say-dry I can do something with as I have lots of water, but I can't do anything about the rain. In the hoop houses, it is all under my control and I think I like the sound of that.

Today's basket were spring baskets to be sure. A few varieties of lettuces, green peas, garlic scapes, basils and rosemary, ginger mint, stevia, green onions, rat tailed radishes, sorrel and some mustard greens.

Here's a recipe I made this week that's pretty simple. Good too.

Pasta with Garlic and Herbs

1 lb pasta (I used whole grain spaghetti, much to my daughter's chagrin)
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
minced garlic scapes
cup full of mixed fresh herbs
dried chiles to taste
salt to taste

Cook pasta.
At the same time, heat oil in skillet and add garlic scapes-cook on low, until tender. Add herbs, peppers and cook briefly.
Toss with pasta, salt as desired.

2 comments:

bluelacedredhead said...

MMm, that recipe sounds good Linda, WW Pasta and all :)

Linda said...

Thanks-it is! Can't wait till I can add the tomatoes to it too.