Tuesday, July 23, 2013

CSA Week 7 and Summer Squash Saute



I've been everywhere  over the last week. Some of it has been real and some of it is my imagined future.
I'm looking at blueberry farms for sale a distance from here, lakefront homes in the Muskokas, and planning trips to anywhere and everywhere. I'm driving my girls nuts.
The reality is that I've been frustrated and a whole lot of overwhelmed by things and it is made worse by my sore back. It's a helplessness I don't like, as weeds take over, grass grows and planting doesn't get done.
I'm seeing wonderful chiropractor who will get me straightened out I know, but I'm not always patient with this kind of thing.

Today things seemed a whole lot brighter. My back didn't feel quite so bad after yesterday's appointment. I got some very nice CSA baskets out and plugged away at getting the big crop of garlic up upon my return home from deliveries.


The garden is a mess though. The rain last weekend saw the weeds take over some areas, but that's just the way it is. I have to prioritize and getting a nice crop of garlic up comes first.

And it is all just fine. I take a deep breath and accept that this is how things are this year and I need to heal my back as best I can.  There is still some lovely produce coming from the garden and more to come.  The garden isn't a showpiece, but we are eating well.


Todays baskets were a good value to be sure. Beans, tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, eggplants, basils, thyme, stevia, parsley, kale, onions, lettuce and fresh garlic filled the baskets up quite well.  A few mouse melons and Szechuan buttons were popped in for fun.
The tomatoes are still the ultra early Stupice, which are producing like crazy. The lettuce is quite different- it is a very old variety called Sword and is quite distinctive.
 If you check back on my blog you'll find some good uses for all the basil. Basil lemonade and basil butter are two of my favourites. Find them HERE .
There are lots more herbs coming. I always dry some for winter use. The basil dries really well and tastes so good in the winter, as does the thyme.


So what to do with the zucchini?
This recipe-Summer Squash Saute- is from Epicurious

ingredients

  • 2 pounds summer squash and/or zucchini, cut into matchsticks
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more
  • 1/4 cup sliced almonds
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, sliced
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan
  • Freshly ground black pepper

preparation

Place squash in a colander set in the sink or over a large bowl and toss with 1 teaspoon salt. Let squash stand 10 minutes, then squeeze well to remove as much excess moisture as possible (do not rinse).
Meanwhile, toast almonds in a large dry skillet over medium heat, tossing occasionally, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate; let cool.
Heat oil in same skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring often, until fragrant but not browned, about 2 minutes. Add squash and cook, tossing occasionally, until crisptender, about 5 minutes. Fold in Parmesan and season with salt and pepper. Fold in almonds.


Read More http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Summer-Squash-Saute-51169540#ixzz2Zv3LZevM


No comments: